Collaboration agreements – University of Copenhagen

Collaboration agreements

These pages concern with the legal aspects of collaboration with the University of Copenhagen (UCPH). We have described the academic potential under Research collaboration.

UCPH distinguishes between two different types of collaboration: co-funded research and commissioned research. Both types of agreement are subject to a number of legal issues, and it is therefore important that external parties consider what form a potential collaboration cooperation should take.

Co-funded research

Collaboration agreements regarding co-funded research are typically agreements in which:

  • Both UCPH and external party invest resources in the project
  • Both parties have rights to the projects results
  • The project is within the scope of UCPH’s normal activities
  • The relevant researcher can pursue further research within the field
  • The external party may use the project results

Read more about the academic opportunities associated with a co-funded research project.

Commissioned research

Collaboration agreements regarding commissioned research or purchase of research services are typically agreements in which:

  • The external party wants a specific research task solved
  • UCPH recover all costs (also indirect) associated with the task
  • The external party determines the topic and how the task is managed
  • The rights results and inventions befall the external party
  • UCPH researchers have the right to publish the results of research

Read more about the opportunities to commission research services.

Who does what?

If you wish collaborate with UCPH about co-funded research or commissioned research the Tech Transfer Office negotiates the agreement.

The Tech Transfer Office negotiates contracts for intellectual property rights, confidentiality (CDA) and Material Transfer Agreements (MTA). If the contract does not include any of these they are commonly negotiated by the local units of the relevant faculty.

You are always welcome to contact both the Tech Transfer Office and administrative service units at the faculties.